Asian Seared Scallops & Veggie NoodlesCreated by Down to Earth Markets Chef Karen Symington Muendell
Course: Meat, Poultry Seafood Entrees
Season(s): Summer, Fall
- 6 sea scallops, \"foot\" removed
- 3 tablespoons each black and white sesame seeds
- salt and pepper
- 2 bunches baby bok choy, chopped
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 small carrot, shredded
- Toasted sesame oil
- vegetable, canola, or other cooking oil
- 3 small scallions, sliced
- 1/2 head purple cabbage or radicchio, cut into strips
- 8 ounces linguine pasta, broken in half
InstructionsCook the linguine to al dente in salted water.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat enough cooking oil to just coat the bottom. Put in the red bell pepper and bok choy, stir and cook 3 minutes. Add in the remaining vegetables putting in white and light green parts of scallion last (reserve tops for garnish), and cook until tender. Drain the pasta and add in with the vegetables. Season with salt and pepper, remove from heat. Sprinkle in some toasted sesame oil and toss to combine. Spread on a plate.Wipe out the skillet, put on high heat and add some fresh cooking oil. Lay the sesame seeds on a plate, combine with some salt and pepper. Push the seed mix into a thin line on the plate. Roll each scallop (sides only!) over the seeds. Place into hot oiled pan. Be careful of “popping” seeds. Turn the scallop when it releases from the pan upon achieving a good sear. Lightly sear bottom. Plate on top of veggie noodles, garnish with scallion tops, a drizzle of sesame oil and seeds if desired.